An Action Group is a group of volunteers (including at least four SFU students) who come together to do work on a social or environmental justice issue (or issues). Each Action Group operates under the banner of SFPIRG and receives financial and organizational support from the organization. Action Groups have access to the following resources:
- A $200 semesterly budget
- Access to training – eg) anti-oppression training, facilitation training, etc.
- Event organizing and campaign support
- Access to the centre’s resources, which includes things like:
- Use of SFPIRG’s meeting room & lounge for your events and meetings
- Use of the computers and space on the hard drive to save your stuff
- Paints & banner supplies
- General office supplies
- Coffee maker
- Help booking rooms at any of the SFU campuses for your events
- A page on our website
- An email address that ends in @sfpirg.ca.
- Storage space at SFPIRG
- A mailbox at SFPIRG
Examples of Current and Past Action Groups
Racialized Resistance & Healing, Committee to End Ableism, Wild Salmon Creative Action, Ancient Forests Committee, Left Alternative, Students For Transparency & Accountability In Public Education, sfu Open Media, Transforming Masculinity, Prison Abolition and Restorative Justice Association (PARJA), Dzaleka Project, People of Colour Collective, Queer Ally Project, Student Transit Action Group, Voice for Animals, Respect Refugees, Latin American Issues Discussion Group, Scarlet Tide Brigade.
What Does SFPIRG Expect from its Action Groups?
- We ask that all new Action Groups attend an Action Group Orientation, which will include an introduction to SFPIRG’s values, an orientation of the space and resources you can access, etc.
- We ask that all Action Groups work within the framework of SFPIRG’s values and abide by all SFPIRG policies.
- We ask that at least two members of your group (and hopefully all) attend anti-oppression training. This can include a general SFPIRG Anti-Oppression workshop, an anti-oppression workshop offered elsewhere, or you can request specific training for your group which we will do our best to offer if our capacity allows.
- We ask that all Action Groups recognize SFPIRG’s support by including our logo on all outreach materials.
- We invite you to table with us at Clubs Days and other tabling opportunities.
- We ask you to keep us informed about your plans and stay in dialogue with us.
How to Become an Action Group?
If you are interested in starting a new Action Group, please fill out the form below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. It will go to SFPIRG’s Board of Directors for consideration and they will decide whether or not to approve the application based on a number of factors. Some of the questions that the Board will consider include:
- Does the mandate of the Action Group fit within SFPIRG’s values?
- Does the group include at least four SFU students?
- Does SFPIRG have money left in the budget to fund this group?
If you have any questions, want to talk about your ideas or need help filling in the application, please contact our Director of Communications at email@example.com. They will be happy to talk to you about your application.