- This event has passed.
Application Deadline for Electoral Officer
The Simon Fraser Public Interest Research Group (SFPIRG) is looking for an Independent Electoral Officer who will be responsible for overseeing the nomination and electoral process for our Board of Directors from February to late March.
- The position involves 1- 5 hours a week of work in February and March, with more work during the election period (if required) in March.
- An honorarium of $200 will be given for the nominations period, and in the case of elections, another $300 will be given.
Application Deadline & Procedure
Application deadline is Friday, January 21, 2022 at 10am
If you are interested, please send your name, contact information, why you are interested in the position and why you would make a good Electoral Officer to email@example.com.
- Leadership skills
- Communication skills, able to convey information clearly both orally and in writing
- Integrity and ability to respect process and confidentiality
- Highly organized, able to work independently
- Commitment to social and environmental justice
The electoral officer shall receive an honorarium of $200 for work performed during the nomination period, and an additional $300 honorarium for electoral duties should elections be held.
Electoral Officer Job Description
The Electoral Officer is responsible for overseeing SFPIRG’s nomination and electoral process for its Board of Directors from February to March 2022. The position involves 1- 5 hours a week of work in February and March, with more work during the election period (if required*) in March. The Electoral Officer shall be accountable to the Board, but shall have authority to conduct the election.
* Elections will only be held if there are more candidates than available positions. There are a maximum of nine seats available on the Board of Directors according to SFPIRG’s bylaws.
Nominations Period Duties:
- Put out the call for nominations
- Provide notice for deadlines
- Review nominations to ensure the eligibility of candidates
- Respond to nominees’ inquiries on the nomination and electoral process
- Organize and run a nominees’ info session
- Organize and run a candidates’ meeting
Election Period Duties:
- Instruct candidates on the election process
- Arrange for the production of a collective candidate poster
- Promote the election on campus
- Approve campaign material
- Enforce the regulations regarding appropriate campaigning/campaign material
- Produce ballots
- Oversee the voting during the election
- Count the votes
- Release of the election results
- Other election duties, as required